Leakesville Home

Ripley, MS

Welcome to Leakesville
Believe It!

Public Works

Gas / Water / Utility Office: 662-837-7154 ripleyutility@gmail.com
Clerks: Cindy Morton, Tracy Luna, Breat Tye, Vickie Horton

Water and Sewer Supervisor - Dewayne Hopkins
Gas Dept Superintendent - Robert Wilbanks​
Street Superintendent - Terry Ray Vuncannon

Residential: Inside
First 2,000 gallons $12.50
Over 2,000 Gallons @ $4.50 per 1,000 Gallons

Residential: Outside
First 2,000 $10.20
Over 2,000 gallons @ $2.10 per 1,000 Gallons

Commercial: Inside & Outside
First 5,000 gallons(3/4" meter) $17.25
Over 5,000@2.00@ $3.50 per 1,000 gallons

SEWER is 95% of water bill

GAS rates vary each month based on the cost of gas.

Individuals wishing to connect to the main gas line must pay a non-refundable connection fee in the amount of $200.00 for the first 100 feet of line and $1.50 per foot for any additional line. Once the service line has been run and the meter set, it is the customer's responsibility to have the meter plumbed into the residence and to call City Hall for an inspection before the meter is turned on. Plumbing must be done by a plumber who is bonded with the City of Ripley unless a Homeowners Permit has been purchased for $2.00. The permit may only be sold to individuals who own and are living in the residence. It is not allowed for rental property or for businesses.​

Street Department
Department Head-Terry Ray Vuncannon

Garbage Pick-Up
Household and rubbish-same day

Garbage Pickup Day Map​

Residential & Light Commercial $12.01 per month
Commercial $22.42 per month

Animal Control
Call Police Dept. 837-2215 or City Hall 837-7154
Call Police Department 837-2215 or City Hall 837-7154
Robert Page - Animal Control Officer(dogs only)
Confine dogs for 5 days
To pick up an animal: $85 one-time fee Payable to City Clerk

Pit bull dogs are not allowed inside city.
Police officers give one warning then a fine.
Building Inspector and building permits
Bruce Wallis: Building Inspector
Contact Lisa Mauney: 662-837-8578

Building permits - residential - $2.00 for the first $1,000. Of total value then $1.00 each additional 1,000 Commercial - $4.00 for the first 1,000 of the total value then $2.00 each additional 1,000

All permits are purchased at City Hall, (Electrical, plumbing, siding, building, and roofing) Only bonded electrician can buy an electrical permit.

All contractors must be licensed and bonded with the City of Ripley.
Plumbing / Electrical / HVAC (under $50,000): Must have City Privilege License and minimum $5000 Surety Bond.


Procedures: give Building Inspector total value, address, and contractor for approval of permit. Permits are purchased at City Hall.

Any work over $500 requires a permit. No Exceptions. No Verbal Permits. Anyone doing work for the public must have a $5000 Surety Bond on file with the City, as well as a Privilege License. A homeowner is allowed pull the Permit for work on their own Personal Residence. The owner of a Commercial Property can pull a permit for work ONLY if the cost of the work is below $10,000.



  1. Is the address in the Historic District? If No, go to step 2. If yes, the work has to be approved by the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC), and they have to issue a Certificate of Appropriateness (COA) BEFORE we issue a building permit. Refer to www.hpc.ripley.ms to find out if address is in the Historic District and to download the application and fill it out. Bring it back to City Hall and we will then get it to the HPC. May take a couple days to get COA. The HPC is ONLY concerned with changes made to the OUTSIDE of the property (roof, doors, windows, siding, porch, awnings, etc.). Once you have a COA, go to Step 2.
  2. Is it for a PUBLIC / COMMERCIAL Building? If No, go to step 3. If Yes, what is the cost of the work? 
    • a. $10,000 or less – Require only Surety Bond and Privilege License – Owner can pull the permit.
    • b. $10,001 to $50,000 – A RESIDENTIAL or COMMERCIAL Contractor License is required. Get a COPY of their license, and look it up at www.msboc.us to make sure it is current. Only a Licensed Contractor can pull the permit.
    • c. Over $50,000, a Commercial Contractor License is REQUIRED. Get a COPY of their license and look it up at www.msboc.us to make sure it is current. Only a Licensed Contractor can pull the permit.
    • d. All commercial and multiple dwelling unit construction must follow the procedures outlined in the Subdivision Ordinance​.
  3. ​ Is it for a RESIDENTIAL REMODEL (roof, pool, fence, siding, painting, brick work, bathrooms, flooring, etc.)? What is the cost of the work? 
    • a. Under $10,000 – The homeowner can pull the permit and hire whoever they want to do the work, licensed or not. 
    • b. IF a contract is over $10,000, and the homeowner wants the contract to be enforceable by law, the contractor must be licensed (RESIDENTIAL or COMMERCIAL). Homeowner can still pull the Permit, and hire whoever they want to do the work, licensed or not.
  4. ​Is it for NEW RESIDENTIAL? 
    • ​a. A Homeowner is allowed to act as his own General Contractor and can pull Permit regardless of cost FOR his own RESIDENTIAL project ONLY. A homeowner can do this a maximum of TWICE Per YEAR. Refer to item 3b for info on amounts and contract enforceability. 
    • b. If building a house to SELL to the public, RESIDENTIAL or COMMERCIAL License Required - Only a Licensed Contractor can pull the permit.

City Of Ripley Gas and Water

Items needed from customer for connection of City Utilities:

  • Copy of Driver's License
  • Copy of Social Security Card
  • Copy of 911 Receipt
  • Statement, contract, or lease from landlord showing renter's name, effective date, correct address, and landlord's name. Must be signed by landlord or his agent.
  • If not on sewer system, a letter of intent from Tippah County Health Department.

City utilities fees city limits to 1 mile outside:

  Gas Water Sewer
Common Connect Fee $200 $200 $200
To the property line, includes up to: 100ft 100ft 20ft
Pipe overage charges - per foot $1.50 $1.50 $1.50
Meter Fee $50 $50 N/A
Reconnect Fee $50 $50 N/A
After 4:00 p.m. connect (add'l) $75 $75 $75

Additional Charges:
Any special or additional construction required, or other options, such as special meters, the city will provide a construction estimate.​​​​​​​​​​​

City of Ripley Mississippi
500 South Main Street
Ripley, MS 38663
(662) 837.0130